Essentially characterized, a business visionary is a man who recognizes a need and begins a business to fill that void. Yet, this generalized definition gives little understanding into the particular character qualities and traits that influence a man to flourish as a business person.
Before extinguishing your everyday employment to pursue the thought that has been percolating in the back of your psyche, consider on the off chance that you have the important constitution to make it as a business visionary. Here are 10 published thoughts by well healed business visionaries to ponder about what it takes to become a genuinely effective business person. My favorite is #10!
- “Successful entrepreneurs … have the guts to take a calculated risk and the tenacity and persistence to keep going even when there are bumps in the road.” – Eileen Huntington, co-founder and CEO of Huntington Learning Center
- “Entrepreneurs have to be people-oriented. Your business will die without a good team to back you up. Study management techniques, learn from great leaders, review where you’re succeeding and failing so you can help others improve. An entrepreneur has to be able to build a team that cares about their work, and to do that you have to care about how you create your team.” – Jonathan Barnett, founder and CEO of Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaning
- “At its core, [entrepreneurship] is a mindset – a way of thinking and acting. It is about imagining new ways to solve problems and create value. Fundamentally, entrepreneurship is about … the ability to recognize [and] methodically analyze [an] opportunity, and ultimately, to capture [its] value.” – Bruce Bachenheimer, clinical professor of management and executive director of the Entrepreneurship Lab at Pace University
- “It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste.” — Henry Ford
- “You don’t have to be a genius or a visionary or even a college graduate to be successful. You just need a framework and a dream.” — Michael Dell
- “If you’ve got an idea, start today. There’s no better time than now to get going. That doesn’t mean quit your job and jump into your idea 100 percent from day one, but there’s always small progress that can be made to start the movement.” — Kevin Systrom, Instagram
- “You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” — Walt Disney
- “It’s fine to celebrate success, but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure.” — Bill Gates
- “If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes–then learn how to do it later!” — Richard Branson
- “An entrepreneur is someone who jumps off a cliff and builds a plane on the way down.” — Reid Hoffman
Mr. Cox is Managing Principal with Pendleton Capital Group, Inc. – a factoring and trade financing company headquartered in Houston, TX. PCG provides professional “best practices” Factoring and Trade Financing and other small business services. His office is in Houston, TX, and he can be reached for additional information or consultation at email@example.com or 713-808-9746. The company’s website can be accessed at www.pendletoncapitalgroup.com